Winter is Coming: 3 Essential Home Preparations for Seattle Residents
As the grey skies settle in and the temperature starts to drop, winter in Seattle brings its own set of challenges. From heavy rainfall to the occasional snowstorm, it's essential for residents to prepare their homes to withstand the season's rigors. Let's examine three key steps that Seattle residents can take to get their homes winter-ready while keeping SERVPRO® in mind for storm-related damage restoration.
Roof and Gutter Maintenance:
Seattle's frequent rain and occasional snow can put a strain on your home's roof and gutter system. To prevent leaks, water damage, and ice dams, it's essential to perform the following tasks:
- Inspect your roof for missing or damaged shingles and have them repaired promptly.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts to prevent blockages and ensure proper water drainage.
- Consider installing gutter guards to minimize debris buildup.
By maintaining your roof and gutters, you can reduce the risk of water intrusion and costly repairs during the winter months.
Weatherproofing Windows and Doors:
Proper insulation and sealing are critical in keeping your home warm and energy-efficient during the winter. Here's what you can do to weatherproof your home:
- Inspect windows and doors for gaps or drafts and seal them with weatherstripping or caulk.
- Consider upgrading to energy-efficient windows and doors to improve insulation.
- Use draft stoppers at the bottom of exterior doors to prevent cold air from entering.
Enhancing your home's insulation not only keeps you comfortable but also reduces heating costs during the chilly season.
Prepare an Emergency Kit:
While Seattle may not experience extreme winter weather, it's still a good idea to have an emergency kit on hand in case of power outages or severe storms. Your kit should include:
- Flashlights and extra batteries.
- Non-perishable food and bottled water to last for a few days.
- Blankets, warm clothing, and extra supplies for your family and pets.
- A battery-powered radio to stay informed about weather updates.
Having an emergency kit ready can provide peace of mind and ensure you're prepared for unexpected winter events. Check what else the National Weather Service includes in their recommended emergency kit list.
Seattle's winters may be milder compared to other parts of the country, but it's essential to prepare your home for the season's unique challenges. By maintaining your roof and gutters, weatherproofing windows and doors, and having an emergency kit at the ready, you can keep your home comfortable and safe during the colder months. However, if winter storms do cause damage to your home, remember that SERVPRO is here to help with storm-related damage restoration services. Contact SERVPRO for prompt and professional assistance, so you can enjoy a worry-free winter season in Seattle.